Lo Spedalicchio, over the centuries, has always been a place of hospitality for travelers on the road between the town of Perugia, the center of political power, and the city of Assisi, religious center.
With the escalation of the disputes between the two cities was, in the second half of the fifteenth century. The town of Perugia began the construction of a military fortification placed in defense of the border of their territory, along an important communication route.
With the emergence of the Papal States, was not the military importance of the settlement fostering the creation of a village set against the inner wall of the defensive walls.
The noble family from Perugia Eugeni accounts in the second half of the seventeenth century. He built his country home to make it the center of his farming activities, encompassing the building an ancient medieval tower.
Lo Spedalicchio on the end of the Northern Umbrian Valley, equidistant between the towns of Perugia and Assisi, is well connected to the national road network and place.
Castle five miles distant from Perugia, square, place at midday on the road to Foligno, and bordering on the territory of Assisi.
That miserable decision, which was taken by many Italian cities, to build hospices in the vicinity of ‘missing rivers of bridges, in order to give shelter to passaggieri, which in large full they could not cross them, it seems that would give reason since’ ancient times the people of Perugia fabricare in the vicinity of Chiagio some of Hospitality House, which then was called the Spedalicchio.
1309 – were ordered to ‘Magistrates some houses in the Castle of de Spedalicchio for convenience’ passaggieri and travelers.
1310 – It was renovated in the same order, and because for the past wars this castle was almost destroyed, it was decreed that there rifacessero least twenty-five houses from those who had their possessions in that district; and viepiù spur them to do so, he forced the city of Perugia to give to everyone, that there fabbricassero, a mine of the Community land likely to give wheat, barley or make, and it was given to Corrado care of James, Prior de ‘Leprosy of the Colle Spedale. […] It was this place fortified in 1369, to protect itself from the Pope’s Arms.
1379– it was ordained by ‘Magistrates, which at Spedalicchio you did a castle, or the best way to fortezia it was relished in’ two Commissioners elected to review the castles of the countryside; and the following year was hastened this fortification; employing about 500 gold florins, taken on loan from the Jews, for defense of Assisi, Bettona, and other lands of those ‘boundaries.
1383 – It was proveduto with money was to fulfill to build this castle, forcing those who had land in that part, to administer the money and workers.
1384 – In March he was sent a reinforcement of mouth ammunition, and war, the Castle of Spedalicchio.
1388 – From the City were elected new Commissioners to complete the factory of this castle, and you were given 2000 florins whose Assisi community was indebted to Perugia.
1399 – August 21: It was likewise ordered, glue contribution de ‘Brufani, and other neighboring fortify it so that it could defend from any onrush of’ enemies.
1399- In the same year, on the 19th of December the peoples of Spedalicchio for the misery in which they had been reduced by reason of the war, especially in employment time, and siege of Brufa, were for absolute year from taxes.
1441 – Determined the magistrate, that they spent three hundred florins to do in this place new fortifications.
1452 – It was aimed at the factory of the Fortress of Spedalicchio everything you would portrait from the pains of ‘frauds, which were made in the Archive, and in putting the land to land registers […]. Being thus well before this factory, the Assisani which ill gladly endured, they ordered, that none of their territory give help, or with manual works, or in any sort of beasts to that work; that outraged the Perugini, ordered, that no Assisano could have officio some in Perugia area, and its domain, and that well any Perugino in que ‘places, or I would go to officio, could lead him verun Assisano.
1457– [..] It was again ordered, been expected to manufacture there, and we were assigned for five years subsidies six Castles; and these castles or villas were Brufa, the Spedalicchio, Colle della Strada, Villanuova Colle, S. Emiliano Ripa, and S. Giglio Colle.
1470 – Not being there likewise in this year since the end of the fortifications Spedalicchio, was established by the General Council, for another five years, to begin in 1471, to commit to this effect the above said upward revenue to 224 guilders a year .
At the head of the Port of stipidi Spedalicchio, which relates to Perugia, we see any jammed a square stone, where you see carved “Ghisleria” with who wants to be specified that the beautiful way to that place in Colle was made in time that was governor of Perugia Pietro Ghisleri in 1577 as a result of a autone order from Rome by letter of the day October 30 of that year. ”
(By G. Beiforti – A. Mariotti “Town and countryside of Perugia …”)